Financial aid for international students at Occidental is limited and extremely competitive. Awards are given to students who show outstanding academic, extracurricular, and personal achievement.
Because we meet 100% of demonstrated need for admitted students, we typically only offer scholarships to two to five international students each year. Therefore, international students who are able to meet our costs should not apply for (or expect) any aid or scholarships.
Complete these forms:
- The Certification of Finances* (COF) is required of all international students whether or not you will be applying for aid.
- The International Student Financial Aid Application* (ISFAA) is required of all international students applying for need-based aid.
The deadline for these forms varies depending on your application status:
- Early Decision I by Nov. 15
- Early Decision II by Jan. 1
- Regular Decision by Jan. 15
There is no need for you to submit the FAFSA or CSS Profile. These forms are for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
When filling out the COF, keep in mind:
- You must answer every question and obtain the required signatures. Otherwise, your form will be considered incomplete and returned to you
- A bank statement cannot replace the COF.
- A bank official’s signature and seal are required on the COF if any of your Occidental education will be paid out of personal savings.
- Each column of the COF must be completed and reflect a U.S. dollar amount. It is insufficient to only state "full amount" in any section.
- Your COF must demonstrate full financial support of our total cost of attendance ($65,530 for 2016-17) unless you wish to be considered for financial aid.
- You must also complete the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA) if you wish to apply for need-based financial aid.
- The College will verify the financial resources of all international applicants before a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) is issued.
- The COF must be filled out by hand and submitted via email, fax, or hard copy.
*Please note that these documents are in .pdf format. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to read or print this document. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you may download it here for free.